Friday 20 November 2009

Group Production Meetings: More Decisions

During the most recent group production meeting, we collaborated our ideas and created a Group Synopsis and Treatment. The Group Treatment would include the Treatment of each group member's position (Josh is Producer and Editor, Emily is Art Director and in charge of Mise-En-Scene, and I am Director/Cinematographer/Co-Editor).

After compromising because of our conflicts in song ideas, we decided to use the song Blue Skies instead of 5 Years Time (both songs by Noah and the Whale) as the song seemed better suited to our ideas for the Synopsis, where 5 Years Time was more of a happy, jolly song.

Of course, where I became Chief Editor last year, since our Editor (not Josh!) wasn't confident enough to actually "Edit" our video, Josh's role this year as Producer has been combined with the role as Chief Editor, and to remain in "touch" with Editing and the Post-Production process, I have opted to be Co-Editor, even though my role as Director/Cinematographer doesn't actually combine this role.

Originally, Josh and I had ideas of using David Bowie's song Life On Mars?, and when he sings about the "girl with the mousy hair" we automatically saw the perfect choice of actress - Emily Halls, a girl who we re friendly with, who is in our English lectures. She had agreed, at the time, to act in our video, and still is willing to give up some of her study time to act in our video.

As my acting in front of the camera was so terrible last year, we decided it only be the right decision to give me the acting role this year, for two reasons: to further improve my acting skills (I'm better at drama and action than happiness or anything else), and for the pleasure of laughing at me during post-production. Just like we did last year, when, in the Outtakes video that I created during my spare time, the clip where I run up the hill in Alexandra Park - the bit which took seven takes to get perfect, as every time I ran up I slipped, fell, and either avoided or bathed in the mud that was gradually getting deeper on the small hill. It was pure error, and not for the fun of it, as I remember well the washing up I had to do that same evening.

The group synopsis was typed-up by our Producer/Editor Josh, whose job it is to make sure the final Group Synopsis is a collaboration of each group member's Synopsis ideas. Therefore, as with last year, I have linked to Josh's Blog (above) where he has typed -up the Group Synopsis; he also sent a copy to me to post onto my Blog, which was the Group Synopsis (above) - our final collaboration of ideas before filming the actual video.